gossipify logo 1
4 First Aid Tips for Dogs and Cats

4 First Aid Tips for Dogs and Cats

4 First Aid Tips for Dogs and Cats

The vet explains how some precautions can help prevent complications and save the animal’s life

Just like humans, dogs and cats are prone to accidents that can put their health and even their lives at risk. Falls, cuts and poisoning are just a few examples of situations that can occur.




In many cases, the owner’s knowledge in providing first aid can make a big difference in stabilizing the animal until professional help can be obtained. So, below, learn how to act in some emergencies!

1. Fractures during play

Even though owners take all precautions, some games that dogs and cats play at home or while walking can eventually cause fractures. This often happens because the animals can get too excited, jump off high furniture, run into slippery areas or collide with each other.

These sudden movements and falls can cause serious bone injuries. Therefore, it is very important for owners to be aware of these moments and to be able to identify the signs of a possible fracture, such as severe pain, swelling, or inability to move.

In suspected cases, providing adequate first aid is essential to ensure the animal’s well-being and a quick recovery. The most important care when this happens, according to Paloma Calerio dos Santos, general veterinarian and intensivist at Veros Hospital Veterinário, is not to personally treat the animal.

“In the case of fractures, the ideal is to try to lift the animal carefully, so that it does not feel pain, leaving the fracture site as stabilized (immobile) as possible, and go to the nearest veterinarian for a medical evaluation,” he explained. recommends.

two. Accidents involving bleeding

During games or even in unexpected situations, children pets They can cut themselves with sharp objects, break their nails, or suffer deeper bites and scratches. Bleeding, depending on its severity, can lead to significant blood loss, putting the animal’s life at risk.

Therefore, it is important that the guardian knows how to act to control the situation. “When it comes to puncture wounds, we must remember that we must remain calm in order to operate at that moment,” warns the veterinarian.

She says it is important for the owner to compress the bleeding area with a clean cloth to prevent the animal from losing more blood. “If there is a bleeding in spurts (possibility of deep cuts with arterial compromise), the indication is to place a tourniquet over the lesion so as to temporarily cut off circulation in the area,” she explains.

Therefore, in both cases, it is advisable to go quickly to a veterinary hospital to evaluate and contain the bleeding.



It is important to take your pet to the vet if toxic foods are ingested.

3. Poisoning with food and cleaning products

Dogs and cats are naturally curious animals, which can lead them to ingest foods and chemicals. toxicputting your health at risk. Star fruit, avocado, chocolate, garlic, onion, grapes, among others, are foods that cannot be eaten by pets. “In case of poisoning due to the ingestion of toxic foods, we will experience changes such as vomiting, diarrhea and a lot of salivation, which characterizes nausea,” lists Paloma Calerio dos Santos.

In these cases, advise the owner not to treat the animal without the guidance of a professional or to try to induce vomiting, as this could cause secondary problems and worsen the animal’s health. So it is important to take it immediately to the veterinary hospital.

This type of precaution should also be taken when ingesting cleaning products. “When a possible ingestion is identified, the ideal is to take it to the nearest veterinarian with the product packaging so that the professional can identify the possible risks and contact the toxicological information and assistance center,” he indicates.

4. Poisoning

Unfortunately, dogs and cats are susceptible to poisoning by other people, especially when the animal has access from the street or the gate of the house. These types of situations can occur deliberately or accidentally, putting the animals’ lives at risk. Symptoms vary, but often include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation, tremors, convulsions and, in more severe cases, difficulty breathing and loss of consciousness.

A rapid intervention It can mean the difference between life and death, as early treatment significantly increases the animal’s chances of recovery. “The first step is, under no circumstances, to give the animal any type of food or medication,” warns the veterinarian.

However, if the animal is conscious, as recommended by Paloma Calerio dos Santos, the owner can administer activated charcoal diluted in water to help reduce the damage caused by intoxication. Therefore, it is important to take the animal to the nearest veterinarian as soon as possible.

“If the animal shows signs of loss of consciousness, tremors and intense salivation, it is important to watch out for accidents such as bites and to keep the animal in a position so that it does not suffocate during transport,” he recommends.

Source: Terra

You may also like

Hot News

TRENDING NEWS

SUBSCRIBE

Join our community of like-minded individuals and never miss out on important news and updates again.

follow us