King Charles vowed to continue his duties after learning of his cancer diagnosis in early 2024, Queen Camilla has revealed.
The Queen disclosed that when her husband first received the diagnosis, nothing stopped him and he declared that he would deal with the situation in his own way.
Charles returned to public duties in April 2024, roughly three months after starting his treatment, continuing his schedule of official commitments across Britain and abroad.
King Charles III succeeded to the throne following the death of Queen Elizabeth II. Queen Camilla, his wife, accompanies the monarch on official engagements and supports various charitable causes.
Keeping the Diagnosis Private
Camilla recalled a difficult period before the diagnosis was shared publicly, when she had to keep the monarch's health condition private during official public visits.
On Jan. 31, 2024, Camilla visited a support center run by Maggie's, a charity that assists cancer patients and their families. The visit took place two days after Charles was discharged from hospital and several days before Buckingham Palace formally announced his illness.
Speaking to Maggie's chief executive Dame Laura Lee, Camilla remembered visiting the center shortly after the King's diagnosis. She noted that nobody could say anything at the time, describing the secret as quite difficult while standing among patients and relatives.
Camilla explained that she almost said something during the visit, but felt it was not the right time. She added that the experience gave her a deeper understanding of how vital support centers are for people facing severe illness.
Prostate Surgery and Public Announcement
The King's health issues initially came to light when he entered hospital on Jan. 26, 2024, for treatment regarding an enlarged prostate. Doctors discovered the presence of cancer during his hospital stay.
Five days after Camilla visited the Maggie's center, on Feb. 5, 2024, Buckingham Palace, the administrative headquarters of the British monarchy in London, officially announced that Charles had begun cancer treatment.
The medical news marked the start of a challenging period for the royal family. A few weeks later, Kate, Princess of Wales, who is married to heir apparent Prince William, revealed that she was also undergoing treatment for cancer.
Prince William later described that period as the hardest year of his life as both his father and wife managed their health battles.
Treatment and State Visit
Buckingham Palace reported that the King responded extremely well to his cancer treatment throughout the year. By late last year, medical staff determined that his treatment schedule could be reduced while maintaining regular monitoring.
Despite undergoing medical care, Charles resumed public appearances in April 2024 and completed official engagements, including a state visit to the United States in May.
Camilla has previously spoken about her husband's strong work ethic, noting that even after receiving his cancer diagnosis, Charles refused to slow down or do what he was told.
Her latest comments provide new insight into the monarch's immediate reaction upon receiving the news, highlighting his determination to maintain his royal responsibilities.
