BBC Radio 2 presenter Trevor Nelson has announced he was diagnosed with a brain tumour and underwent very serious surgery to treat it. The 62-year-old radio DJ revealed his diagnosis on Thursday, two months after stepping back from work due to undisclosed health issues.
Nelson shared the update in a video posted to his Instagram account, following extended speculation about his health. He told fans he felt ready to return to work after spending the last month in recovery and post-operative treatment.
In the video, Nelson explained that he decided to speak out because of the thousands of supportive messages he received. "A lot of you may have seen the post that I put up at the start of summer, saying that I was stepping back from all my work commitments due to illness," Nelson said. "There's been a lot of speculation as to what's wrong with me, I know that much. My phone's blown up 20 times over with people asking what's wrong with me."
He added that the love and positive vibes sent by fans prompted him to share what happened. "Due to the love and the positive vibes, thousands of you have been sending me, I felt that I should at least tell you what is wrong with me and what happened to me," he said. Nelson noted that while he may share the "whole crazy story" at a later date, he plans to keep details mostly private for now.

Describing the moment he learned of his condition, Nelson said he was completely shocked by the news. "I'll tell you this, I was minding my own business and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour," he said. "As you can imagine, I was shocked. In fact, my world was turned upside down." He added that his head was "quite literally" all over the place when he realised he needed to stop work.
Following his operation, Nelson spent the last month in recovery and post-operative treatment. He reassured followers that the surgery went well and that he is feeling energised about returning to work. "I can only tell you the truth," he said. "I feel great right now, I feel ready to come back. I feel energised and almost back to myself. I've had a really serious situation but I've come out the other side and I feel great. I feel raring to go. I feel in good health."
In the caption accompanying his video post, Nelson confirmed his intention to return to broadcasting before resuming his live DJ performances. "I'm feeling good. I will be back to work very soon. To radio first and later to my DJ gigs. Thank you for all your messages, your love and your support," he wrote.

Support from BBC colleagues and friends
Following his announcement, Nelson received widespread support from fellow broadcasters and friends across BBC Radio. The official BBC Radio 2 social media account commented: "Sending you so much love Trevor! Can't wait to have you back". Presenter Fearne Cotton wrote: "We love you Trev. So happy you're recovering well", while Zoe Ball added: "Sending you so much love Trevor! Can't wait to have you back".

BBC presenter Melvin Odoom commented: "Sending love Uncle Trev and looking forward to hearing you on the airwaves soon", and BBC Radio 2 host Ellie Brennan wrote: "So good to hear Trev! Sending endless love and good vibes your way". Public messages of support were also posted by Romesh Ranganathan, Jack Saunders, DJ Spoony, Clara Amfo, and Angie Greaves.

BBC Radio 2 is the United Kingdom's most listened-to radio station, broadcasting a mix of adult contemporary music and entertainment. BBC Radio 1Xtra is a digital station dedicated to black music genres including hip hop, R&B, grime, and dancehall. Nelson is a key voice across both stations, usually presenting weekdays from 2pm to 4pm on Radio 2 and every Sunday from 11am to 1pm on BBC Radio 1Xtra.
Break from broadcasting and future plans
Nelson first stepped away from his radio shows in June after a routine medical check-up led doctors to recommend further testing. At the time, he posted an Instagram message to inform his followers, radio listeners, and Soul Nation party-people that he would be taking a break from work.
"I wanted to let my followers, radio listeners and all my Soul Nation party-people know that I'm going to be taking a little break from my work commitments," Nelson posted in June. "Some of you may already have noticed that I've not been on my daily Radio 2 slot this week. After a routine check-up, I was advised to have some follow-up tests. As a result, I will be taking some further time off. As I'm sure you can appreciate, given health issues, it's important to deal with facts rather than speculate. So I'm concentrating on getting better, being back to 100 per cent me and getting back behind the mic and the decks."

The initial confirmation of his health break sparked concern among fans that his long career on air and behind the turntables could be coming to an end. However, friends insisted in June that Nelson remained confident about returning to presenting after taking time off to recover. They also confirmed he was continuing to plan his busy end-of-year schedule, including his annual sell-out Christmas events at the Royal Albert Hall. The Royal Albert Hall, located in South Kensington, London, is one of Britain's most historic concert venues.
Speculation about his future had previously been heightened by comments Nelson made while attending the Television and Radio Industries Club (TRIC) Awards, where he was recognised with the TRIC special award. Speaking to the audience at the event, Nelson reflected on his career length: "Thirty years at the BBC, ten years at KISS FM: 40 years doing radio. I don't know how many more years I can do, I love every single moment of it."
A close friend of the presenter has now confirmed that Nelson took the right steps by stepping back to address his health. "Trevor's doing the right thing by stepping back to make sure this health issue is properly sorted out," the friend said. "But he's confident of returning to work after the summer. It would be wrong to put an exact date on things, but give him a couple of months, and there seems to be every prospect of a return to work. And he's already looking forward to his regular DJ stints at the end of the year, such as the Christmas shows at the Albert Hall."
Tributes and career background
BBC Radio 2 presenter Vernon Kay paid tribute to Nelson on his mid-morning show shortly after news of the illness broke. "Everyone at BBC Radio 2, including the mid-morning show, is sending Trevor all the very, very best wishes," Kay said. "We absolutely love him to bits. He's a stalwart broadcaster within the UK. I played golf with him a couple of weeks ago, and he was in a buoyant mood. And I know that this challenge is something that Trevor is going to face head-on. So Trevor, we are sending you all our love and hopefully see you on the links very soon, my friend."
Richie Anderson, who has been covering for Nelson on Radio 2, also offered his support: "Sending all the love in the world to our Trevor, we've got your back, buddy." Lorna Clarke, director of music at the BBC, added: "Everyone at BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 1Xtra wishes Trevor a very speedy recovery and we all look forward to him returning to his shows whenever he is ready."

Nelson has been DJing since he was young, first making his name as a pioneering presenter on London pirate radio station Kiss FM in the 1980s. That work led to a daytime slot and a directorship once the station obtained its legal broadcast licence. Kiss FM established itself as a major UK station for dance, hip hop, and R&B music.
After ten years with Kiss FM, Nelson moved to Radio 1 in 1996 to present Rhythm Nation, adding a second show on Saturday afternoons a year later. Beyond radio, he presented television shows for MTV, including The Lick and The Lick Chart, as well as Trevor Nelson's Urban Choice and The Lowdown for the BBC. He has released compilation albums Pure Grooves and Incredible Sound Of Trevor Nelson, and hosts a stage alongside Radio 1 at London's annual Notting Hill Carnival, one of the world's largest street festivals.
